Mechanical Turk Prepaid HITs Terms and Conditions
Last Updated: April 29, 2009
- Redeeming Mechanical Turk Prepaid HITs. Mechanical Turk Prepaid HITs must be redeemed through the Mechanical Turk web site, https://www.mturk.com, and may be used only by requesters to pay for services of Mechanical Turk or Mechanical Turk Workers, including the completion Human Intelligence Tasks or "HITs". When purchased on the Mechanical Turk web site, Mechanical Turk Prepaid HITs are automatically credited to the requester's Mechanical Turk Prepaid HIT balance. Payments are deducted from the balance. To redeem or view Prepaid HIT balances, visit "Your Account" on the Mechanical Turk web site.
- Expiration. Prepaid HITs do not expire. If no Prepaid HITs are purchased or paid to Workers for at least two (2) years and six (6) months, consecutively, the balance in the Prepaid HIT balance will be automatically converted into an Amazon.com gift certificate and added to the gift certificate balance of an Amazon.com account associated with then-current e-mail address for the Mechanical Turk account.
- In order for Mechanical Turk Workers to be eligible to receive payments from Prepaid HITs, Workers must have a valid Mechanical Turk account.
- Except for payments on the Mechanical Turk web site, Prepaid HITs may not be redeemed for the purchase of products or services on any other Web site operated by Amazon.com, its affiliates, or any other person or entity, including on Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.co.jp, and Amazon.ca.
- Requesters may redeem Prepaid HITs to purchase Amazon.com Gift Certificates to pay non-U.S. Workers for services provided through Mechanical Turk. Requesters may not otherwise use Prepaid HITs to purchase other gift certificates or gift cards.
- Prepaid HITs cannot be transferred, resold, redeemed for cash or applied to any other account, except as provided in these terms or to the extent required by law. Unused Prepaid HIT balances may not be transferred to any other Amazon Payments account.
- If Amazon Mechanical Turk terminates your Participation Agreement because you have violated the Policies (as defined in that agreement), then (i) any services that have been completed but not accepted by you will be deemed accepted and the applicable payments will be remitted to the service providers and deducted from your Prepaid HITS balance and (ii) the remaining balance (if any) of your Prepaid HITS will become the property of Amazon Mechanical Turk.
- Refunds. Prepaid HITs may be refunded only to the payment method used to purchase the Prepaid HIT originally. Amazon reserves the right to reverse any purchase of Prepaid HITs for any reason and refund the purchase amount to the purchaser.
- Fraud. Amazon will have the right to close customer accounts and request alternative forms of payment if a fraudulently obtained Prepaid HIT is either redeemed through the Mechanical Turk Web site or is redeemed and used to make payments on the Mechanical Turk Web site.
- Mechanical Turk Policies. Prepaid HITs and their use on the Mechanical Turk site are subject to Mechanical Turk's Participation Agreement and Privacy Notice as well as Amazon Payment's Privacy Notice.
- Limitation of Liability. AMAZON PAYMENTS, INC. ("AMAZON PAYMENTS") AND MECHANICAL TURK, INC. AND THEIR AFFILIATES MAKE NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO PREPAID HITS, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN THE EVENT A PREPAID HIT IS NON-FUNCTIONAL OR CANNOT BE REDEEMED OR USED ON THE MECHANICAL TURK WEB SITE, YOUR SOLE REMEDY, AND OUR SOLE LIABILITY, SHALL BE THE REPLACEMENT OF SUCH PREPAID HITS. CERTAIN STATE LAWS DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN DAMAGES. IF THESE LAWS APPLY TO YOU, SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE DISCLAIMERS, EXCLUSIONS, OR LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU, AND YOU MIGHT HAVE ADDITIONAL RIGHTS.
- Arbitration. Any dispute relating in any way to Mechanical Turk Prepaid HITs shall be submitted to confidential arbitration in Seattle, Washington, except that, to the extent you have in any manner violated or threatened to violate Amazon's intellectual property rights, Amazon may seek injunctive or other appropriate relief in any state or federal court in the State of Washington, and you consent to exclusive jurisdiction and venue in such courts. Arbitration under this agreement shall be conducted under the rules then prevailing of the American Arbitration Association. The arbitrator's award shall be binding and may be entered as a judgment in any court of competent jurisdiction. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, no arbitration under this Agreement shall be joined to an arbitration involving any other party subject to this Agreement, whether through class arbitration proceedings or otherwise.
- General Terms. Mechanical Turk Prepaid HITS are issued by Amazon Payments. Amazon Payments reserves the right to change these terms and conditions from time to time in its discretion. All terms and conditions are applicable to the extent permitted by law. The laws of the State of Washington, without regard to principles of conflict of laws, will govern these terms and conditions.